Two Pictures and The Archives: Empty Space

|

Friday, June 17, 2011

I did it. I made illustrations for not one, but two poems, one of which you haven't read before. I've been bored, see. I had/have a youth religion camp going on yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and we had a lot of free time the past two days. Thank goodness I brought my sketchbook. Right now I'm at home on a little break before a barbecue and a movie and a dance party. We're watching Forever Strong, and if you haven't seen it, you're missing out. It's an incredible movie. For reals.

First thing, I have the line art for my illustration poem, Summer Blooms. I got quite a lot of attention at the camp, but I have to say, it wasn't the best thing to be drawing at a religion camp, especially at the early stages where the breasts and other private areas aren't covered yet. I put fake little undies on my drawings just for that reason. o////////o It's loosely inspired by this image.

Those things on the left are supposed to be garlic. And she's wearing spankies under that skirt, thankyouverymuch.

I don't have the guts or the time to color it yet, so I'm just going to leave it in the computer for a while, probably. I might do a few studies before I go for broke, and I'll probably do a pre-color with my graphics tablet. But all in all I'm very happy with how it came out.

Now, for the poem. I wrote this a few years ago on a whim, then edited it once or twice to improve the rhythm and rhyme scheme.
Empty Space

I am full of empty space
My body seems a solid place.
Yet my mind’s full of emptiness
The size of which I cannot guess.

When I look into my face,
It’s hard to see that empty space.
My hands so thin, my limbs so tall,
How is it I have space at all?

To some it seems like such a waste;
“Why don’t we use this empty space?”
Then science says without a doubt,
“We cannot fill the spaces out.”

It is a fact that I must face:
I am full of empty space
And science says, I do not doubt,
“We’ll never fill the spaces out.”

I am full of empty space
And fullness is a hopeless case.
The thought of this makes me feel small...

Am I nothing, after all?

I drew a picture for this poem, too (ignore her hands, please). This one's inspired by Evan Dahm's Bottle Woman, from the webcomic Order of Tales

6 Poetry Snaps:

Scoop said...

I like the poem and the illustrations very much... you have quite a talent!

-Scoop

Oliver said...

That's so awesome. And your story of what it was like for you drawing that girl in a religion camp. . . well, someone should've seen your sketch on its early stages! It would've been a blast! I think. Or not.

I'm going to check out that movie. But I'm not really into movies, so there's a fat chance I'm not gonna like it so much.

Great poem as usual. =]

Alexa said...

@Scoop: o///o Thank you! They're just things I love... c:

@Oliver: Yeah, I had some of my friends model her face for me, because I wasn't quite sure how to draw someone screaming. When the one saw the final product, her face was kind of like "wut?" and then D:

And thanks. c: Let me know what you think if you end up watching it.

Anonymous said...

Love it the sketches are awesome and fit the poem perfectly :)

Alexa said...

Thanks! c:

Myself said...

your first drawing reminds me of a fairy I drew. You're really good!

Post a Comment