Happy Father's Day

|

Sunday, June 19, 2011

My dad is the single-most amazing man I know. I just wish I weren't such a feeble poet...

Daddy,

I’m not going to pen a poem like Miss Plath
About a daddy who wasn’t enough for her.
I’m not going to list lies about the times you beat me, Dad.
You never did.
I’ve learned it’s the mark of a poor poet to lie,
Because aside from the few spankings I earned,
The only times you touched me were to give me a hand.
 
I’m not going to scrawl screams of frustration,
How you weren’t there when I needed you most,
Because you were there.
 
No, I don’t want to be a poet with that last-resort muse,
Turning to fantasies of make-believe abuse.
I want to tell you about the times we spent talking about dust mites on our hikes,
Sitting with you for some advice,
A leg-up-on-life.
 
I’m writing to tell you that every time I said I hated you,
I really meant I love you;
That for every time you told me things I didn't want to hear,
I listened twice as hard the next time.
 
Dad, I don’t know what I’ll do when you’re gone.
I’m taking baby steps towards a shaky independence,
Using your words as my crutch.
But I’ll use up all my monthly minutes on the phone,
Reminding you how much I love you,
Because I do.

4 Poetry Snaps:

EAL said...

Awwww. :) This is really sweet. I particularly like the line "I want to tell you about the times we spent talking about dust mites on our hikes".

/Ooh, is that a new design I see?

Alexa said...

We really did talk about dust mites on a hike, once. I watched a movie in science about macrophotography and long-exposure videography and stuff like that the day my dad and I did a five-hour hike to this lake. We discussed it for probably a good two hours.

Yes, the old template broke. :( I liked it, so I hope I can figure out how to make it work again.

Kevin Routh said...

You're not a 'feeble poet'. I really like this poem. Your Dad should be proud.

Alexa said...

Thanks, Kevin. c: It's good to know someone has faith in me. My dad liked it, especially since it wasn't about him beating me (because he really hasn't. It's just that most poets I know--even high school poets--end up writing some far-fetched poem about how one parent or the other abused them. I want to be different, I guess. c:)

Post a Comment