Lawnmowing, Love, and Lilacs

|

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Today was my last day of school before summer starts! It's about time, too. :P

Ah ha, another lawnmower poem. It's an inspirational thing, mowing the lawn, is it not? This poem's even about plants! Coincidence? I think not! I wrote this on Saturday and edited Sunday and Monday to make it the best it could be.

This is partly inspired by my boyfriend--yes, I said it: my boyfriend--who is a microbiology genius. Most the things he talks to me about go in one ear and out the other. He's working on curing cancer, and I think his team is close. Did I mention he's just about to graduate high school? Yes. And he's curing cancer.

Anyways, loosely inspired by him. He's very sweet, and he would never mistreat me in any way. The only similarity is the scientific-ness of this poem. What can I say? Relationships make for great poetry, even if it's a little exaggerated.

Are you in a relationship? Is it an... INSPIRING one? Do tell.

Summer Bloom

Suspend me, saint-like, from the ceiling,
Strung up beside garlic and spice.
I bet I'll look nice when you move from this shack to a lab,
And you can study me all you want, but I won't change.

It's strange how you said you wanted me,
Only to pluck me from my roots so I could die before your eyes.
But I'd rather be dried than condemned to formaldehyde,
Watching dandelions go to seed while you read medical journals
And observe my body decaying inside a jar.

I know where they are.
When their petals began to wilt, you pumped them full of preservatives,
Injected dyes so you wouldn't have to see them decompose,
A daisy;
A rose;
Locked in the dusty corners of your memory,
A sickening surprise for me to find as I search your mind,
Looking for the "Why's."

I only bloomed so you could tell me I was pretty,
And when you found me I told you I couldn't last forever.
You thought you were so clever,
Hanging me like Peter from the rafters,
Sealing letters, making charts,
Calling up forbidden arts.
And I know you're trying, but
I'm
still
dying,
And all your efforts just won't work.

By the time you find a cure to mortality,
I'll have gone to seed,
And I'll teach my posterity to laugh
At the silly charts and stupid graphs
You made to save your garden of hearts.

A summer flower made to bloom in spring,
I'll leave you to wonder if you did something
Wrong,
Because I can't bear to watch, with my dried-out eyes,
As the could-have-been seed
slowly
dies.

8 Poetry Snaps:

EAL said...

"I only bloomed so you could tell me I was pretty" - great line from a great poem. It sounds kind of like the narrator's love wants to keep her alive even though she's already died. Mad scientist in love, eh?

I have someone who inspires some of my scribblings, but we aren't in a relationship.

Alexa said...

@EAL
Hit it on the head. You win ten bonus points!

Oliver said...

Hahaha. I don't know why, but I would laugh at some points while reading the poem. Don't get me wrong, your poem is great! It's just that the image inside my head gets a bit funny at some point, like with the formaldehyde and the preservatives. HAHAHA. LOL XD OMG Sorry.

None of my relationships last because girls inspire me to become single, and I don't even want to try it with boys, so. . .

EAL said...

@Alexa

Yay! Bonus points! :D

Alexa said...

@Oliver
Well, SOMEONE has to laugh at my made-up, self-induced sorrow. ;P

Myself said...

Microbiology! For a while I wanted to major in that ~ until I realized I'm not smart enough XD

Your poem is great!

P.S. did you find your nose bleed poem? :)

Photogenic Devil said...

hello , i found your blog through 'myself's' blog .

this poem is awesome. i dont believe ur still in high school - its way too good to be written by someone so young.

hoping to read more things from you
keep writing

Alexa said...

@Myself
Yeah, me too. But I have smarts in other things, it seems. Plus I don't think I could bear to work on things so small for so pong. It takes a lot of patience, which is something my ADDbrain doesn't have.

And yes, I did find that poem. 8D You can expect to see it tomorrow!

@PHOTOGENIC DEVIL
I'm glad you found me, and I will definitely keep writing. c:

Post a Comment