You'd Be Surprised Where You Get Inspired

|

Saturday, May 28, 2011

You'd think mowing the lawn would inspire you to write about mowing the lawn, right? Nope. Not for me. Somehow mowing the lawn or walking to school stimulates my brain, I guess, because right after doing either one I have ideas for new stories or poems. I made up a joke the last time I walked to school. You wanna hear it? Of course you do.

What do you call a mob of brooms?
The mop-fia.

You're supposed to laugh now, just so you know.

Anyways, I was mowing the lawn on Saturday, contemplating stuff as always, when the lines for a poem came to mind. I'd already tried writing something with the same idea in mind, but it wasn't turning out quite right the way I was taking it. The title came about partly because of the poem's concept, and also because I was joking around with my sister and calling her names (we do that a lot, just to see who can come up with the best name). The first word out of my mouth was "Dummy." Isn't that a funny word? I had to use it somewhere.

Before I give you the poem, here's a question I'd like to know: What inspires you, and where (as in physical places) do you most often get inspiration?

Dummy

My ventriloquist moves my mouth to speak,
Though I swear it's not me talking.
My ventriloquist moves my limbs so weak,
But it's not me who's walking.
My ventriloquist makes my eyes to weep,
Though I swear it's not me crying.
My ventriloquist lays me down to sleep,
And now it's me who's dying.

15 Poetry Snaps:

Scoop said...

One place/time I'm inspired is in my living room at 2:00 AM and the only sounds are a cat walking across the hardwood (yep, there's sound there) or a car going past on the street outside. Almost everything I write (I'm working on a novel as well as my blog) is written during the hours after midnight... another is a back booth in an all night diner. Sometimes I need silence; sometimes din. A third place I've been inspired recently is this post thanks for making me think about it!
- Scoop

skylarmacrae said...

First off, thank you for the not so funny joke :) Your comment telling me to laugh did its job HAHA I laughed out loud just so you know.

I am inspired in many ways:
As far as locations go- walking around through the mountains near my home provide a peaceful location for inspiration. Driving is also a great source for inspiration. No longer is it necessary to focus on driving itself, so aimlessly driving and taking in the surroundings gets me thinking.
Other sources of inspiration can be: People who push my buttons, and listening to music. Music is probably the most inspirational tool that I have besides good ole deep thinking.

Myself said...

in the sky-train?

Its strange, the view is not all that great and It smells horrible most of the time. Yet, I get most of my ideas, whether its about blogging or about my club in the sky-train. I think its because thats one of the few times I find myself alone in a crowd and I get to reflect on my life, and quite often think about what other people's lives are like.

:)

skylarmacrae said...

Your request has been met... check your messages ;)

EAL said...

I like the poem, the joke x) and the new design.

Strangely enough, I get a lot of my ideas during PE when I'm running. Also, at home when I'm about to go to sleep.

Alexa said...

Oh, yay! Lots of comments to reply to.

@Scoop
Something I heard recently is that the human brain creates new ideas because of noise. So maybe the idea is spawned in a crowd and then developed in silence. Something more to think about...
And I'm glad I could provoke a bit of thought. Tis always my overall goal. c:

@Skylar
Well, glad I could make your day with that hilarious joke of much hilarity. ;P
That was really the only thing I came up with the whole hour I walked from my house to school.
Ah, see, music is where we differ. Nature, yes, driving, sorta (I just learned, so I have to force my mind not to wander), but music, for me, is a no-way. I find it distracts me more than inspires, which is kind of sad because I really do enjoy music. :'c
And as you already know, your message was received, and just so you know, it totally made my day. :D

@Myself
Alone in a crowd. An excellent way to put it, I think. Because what else are you going to do? Talk to the weird hobos who ride the public transit all day long? Ew.
Just don't ever fall asleep on public transit, because it's pretty scary to have a hobo wake you up when your stop is miles away.

@EAL
Did you really like the joke? Was it funny? Because everyone I've told it to thought it was dumb (although they didn't say so outright).
And re: inspiration before sleeping, I HATE THAT, because then you have freaky dreams about whatever your last thoughts were, and I always have ideas right before I conk out. Drives me insane!

Oliver said...

You saying that I'm supposed to laugh at the joke, makes the joke more funny. XD

The poem is really good! Really nice. Where do I get inspirations? I don't know. My brain just comes up with ideas out of the blue. I don't know where it gets those ideas. Uhm, maybe while listening to a song? Or maybe from the blue. I'm not sure which one.

skylarmacrae said...

You seem to have disappeared... I'll leave it at that.

Alexa said...

@Oliver
Thank you, thank you. *takes a bow*
Ha, yes. I was thinking a lot about where I get my ideas from, too. A lot of the stuff I write just happens. But I think if you dig deep enough, you can find that hidden source of inspiration. Perhaps it's a memory long forgotten, or a faint impression of a person you once knew. I think most, if not all, inspiration is recycled material.

@Skylar
D:
Well you'd better come find me!

Unknown said...

ha3, it's funny...kinda.
This is my first time in your blog and I'm liking it ^^
as for the question, the thing that inspire me the most are my friends~ and the place has got to be my bathroom ;D
it's a quiet place where i can concentrate (y).

http://girls-on-the-run.blogspot.com/

skylarmacrae said...

Well it's good to see you're alive! I've searched the forums, your blog, and email. The only other place you could be is lost in thought. I wouldn't be in your thoughts long enough to come find you... Would I? :)

Alexa said...

@Inggrid
Heh.
I was going to talk about the bathroom, but... I decided not to. Lol! But it is true. *nod nod*

@Skylar
Maybe...
But relax. If I really disappear, it'll be for more than half a day. And I haven't really felt like hanging out on TCS these past two days. I have a lot of other things to do.
A lot.
Jeez, why am I so busy? x_X

Photogenic Devil said...

wow.

I have never mowed my lawn - we have lots of cemented floor around our house with thousands of potted plants. i have watered them, and all i even think about is getting the work done.

i think , you have to be a poet to really get inspired . Us random bloggers , will have to make do with midnight ramblings.

great blog. i am really happy i came across it.

Alexa said...

@PHOTOGENIC DEVIL
Nonsense!
Inspiration comes in many forms. For example, something inspired you to say that you are not inspired. Something inspires you to blog. My inspiration is simply different from yours. c:

EAL said...

Whoa, late reply. x( Sorry.

I'm kind of a sucker for dorky jokes...I blame my middle school band teacher:

"What did one wall say to another?"
"I'll meet you at the corner!"

Derpity derp derp. X)

I tend to like my weird dreams. You never know what gold you might find hidden among the exam nightmares and such.

Post a Comment