Publication Celebration! Part Two of Three/AP Completeification Celebration

|

Friday, May 6, 2011

I took the APUSH test today and totally killed it. Rachel studied me into a stupor (literally) yesterday, along with Hannah and Alyssa. I really think I'm not cut out for the whole "studying" thing. We were supposed to study an hour and a half every day for the past month while we reviewed in class. I think I might have maybe studied an hour and a half total. Boberg (my teacher) was so proud! of me when I told him I'd studied half an hour by myself two days ago, lol!

Today's publication celebration piece is more on the heavy side, or the dark side, I guess you could say. Because of this poem and the one I'll post next, I'm notorious in my class for killing birds (and babies (but don't take that the wrong way. It's a lit mag joke). Actually, I'm pretty much notorious for killing things, period). Not that I've ever actually killed an animal on purpose (although I very nearly ran over this retarded pigeon who wouldn't get out of the road and then flew up into my windshield).

But enough blab. Here's the poem.

Release

I caught you from the sky,
{Little bird}.
Your heart beats so fast,

A thrum of [life]

in my palm.


I plucked you from the flock
And now you [s t r u g g l e] in my grasp

Try your best to escape, but

{Little bird}!

You are in MY control now!

And I’m not about to let you go

Because I want you to suffer...

[just like me],

{Little bird},

As I snap your feathers

one

by

one,

I leave you f l i g h t l e s s,

Leave you [grounded].

My fingers are stained in crimson,
And as my tears drip on your breast,
My light begins to die...

[just like you],

{Little bird}

It’s slowly that I realize
That as I take your life away from you,

Acting God,

Playing Reaper,

As the beating of your heart hits a

[r i t a r d a n d o]

And your eyes stare into mine and
Beg the question: why?

I’m not sure I know.

Because I’ve lost everything [else] in my grasp,
And I need to find some r e l e a s e.
I need to know that

something

else

is hurting...

[just like me].

2 Poetry Snaps:

EAL said...

Wow, this is a very powerful poem, even if it is a bit dark. I like how you play with spacing and brackets and such - it really works in letting you manipulate the flow of the poem.

Alexa said...

Most of my best literature tends to be dark, which is really a bad habit of mine. :P

Post a Comment