The Archives: Some Songs

|

Monday, May 2, 2011


I went through a little songwriting stint for a while when I created a minstrel character for a story. His name was Anthem: the Masked Minstrel, and he dressed himself in colorful clothes and basilisk feathers. To complete his character, I wrote up a few songs, and they're actually surprisingly good.

Lady Lye

(Chorus)
Lady Lye, Lady Lye,
Oh, Lady Lye,
How did I ever tell you goodbye?
You were fairer than fair,
The sun in your hair,
On the day that I told you farewell.

We were both, oh so young,
T'was the flower of youth,
You told me lies, and I told you truth.
But somehow we knew that someday we'd part,
And that day has broken my heart.

You father was rich,
As rich as a king,
But my life was paid by the songs that I sing.
So I set out a path that I'd swiftly tread,
And when I returned we would quickly be wed.

(Chorus)

I set out to make my fortune that day,
And you with your promise to wait,
But when I returned you were already gone,
With another man, aged fifty-eight!

Lady Lye, Lady Lye,
Oh, Lady Lye,
How I could I ever think you to be true,
You are greyer and grey,
Since that ill-fated day,
That you lied to that man which you loved.

Since you lied to the man who loved you.

In Love with a Dragon

Brighter than stars in the sky is my girl,
Her dress in a twist and her hair in a twirl,
Hotter than fiery sun are her eyes,
Hotter still is her heart, my most ultimate prize…

(Chorus)
I’m in love with a dragon, though human I be,
T’is a difficult thing that she cannot quite see,
I give her my love, my heart and soul, too,
But I can’t but think that she wants me for stew!

By night she’s a maiden as clear as the sea,
By day she’s a dragon whom all fear but me.
Her house is a cottage right next to her cave,
But the home doesn’t matter; it’s her love that I crave!

(Chorus)

One day I just told her, “My dear, I love you,
And I don’t really care what you think of that, too.
If you will not take me, you’d best eat me now,
For I cannot live without you anyhow.”

She smiled and told me, “That’s too great a task,
I’ve been waiting for you to just come out and ask.
I’ll be with you, and you’ll be with me,
And we’ll keep it that way for eternity.”

I’m in love with a dragon, and a dragon loves me!
Our love is as true as, as true as can be.
And if you are thinking that you love one, too,

Well…

We’ve got a few children who’d love to have you!

The Basilisk Lament

He weeps at the feet of a girl of stone,
His tears doth stain the marble red.
He gazes ‘pon her face so dead,
His lonely fate he doth bemoan.

T’was his love now gone to the basilisk’s stare,
Into eyes the color of crimson death,
And he sits at her side,
His lament is sung there,
For now he has nothing left.

[instrumental]

0 Poetry Snaps:

Post a Comment