Math on the Brain is Never a Shame

|

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

In Other News: I'm getting published! My 900-word life story is being published this month in an anthology of local life stories! Eeeeee!!!

In Other Other News: I love children... Two little 3-year-old twins are staying over with my family tonight because they're in the foster care program, and foster parents can't leave their kids with just anyone when they go on vacation. I miss having little kids around the house... :)

In Other Still Unrelated News: What is this? A somewhat-consistent posting schedule? Since I have creative writing every other school day, you can probably count on hearing from my every time I have that class. Woo hoo!

Today's creative writing class was, as always, a joy! I taught the lesson today along with one of the newer students. We decided to talk about metaphors. We brought a bunch of different items like a plastic snake, a bottle of shampoo, gloves, a hacky sack, and other such oddities, and had the class think of them in a metaphorical sense. Most of us drifted more toward personification, but that's okay. I got to share my favorite poem, so I didn't really mind what happened after that. What can I say? I love to share.

The object I used as a metaphor was a paper airplane, and my previous class was math, which obviously influenced the wordplay.
A Play on Geometry Lessons

I am a plane
No shape nor dimension defines me
Lines pierce me and fiercely I try to resist all the wearing and tearing
You hold me and fold me

and now

I'm a plane
No shape nor dimension defies me
You can throw me or bow me decrease all my edges but as my wing fledges
I soar

Flat no more

7 Poetry Snaps:

Kevin Routh said...

I really love that poem! That might be my new favorite of yours. Great job!

Antonella said...

'I soar

flat no more'

is simply brilliant!

Congratulations on getting published, the story you wrote is very touching and inspiring. You deserve this :-)

Alexa said...

@Kevin: I jump for joy at gaining your approval! Syntax!

@Antonella: Thank you so very much. :) Not to be, like, vain or anything, but I think I deserve it, to. XD

What can I say? I'm honest.

EAL said...

Congratulations! Honest self-praise is infinitely better than false modesty...and that story was incredible.

Your creative writing class sounds like lots of fun. I like the poem.

Alexa said...

XD thanks, that makes me feel better about my humility. ;)

Creative writing is my absolute number one without a doubt favorite class, although it's a little boring right now because we're doing the exact same activities we did last year. But it'll be worth the sacrifice soon enough. :)

Oliver said...

Hey congrats! Winning a writing contest is great, and getting published is even greater! Kudos to you, Alexa!

I once took a creative writing course in college, and it was a lot of fun. Writing courses are awesome. =]

Dog-Walker said...

I am starting to write my own stories, Alexa. They'll mostly talk about Boy Scouts, since I have earned each merit badge.

Post a Comment