ROMance

|

Thursday, September 1, 2011

What a day...

I woke up at 7:00 and rushed out the door to get to school before 7:30 (an obscene hour, if you ask me). Thankfully the girls I take with me found other ways to get there, but I still feel... well, dumb. I didn't even turn on my alarm, for heaven's sakes!

It's been a helter-skelter kind of day.

My brain is helter-skelter, too.

On one of the blogs I follow, the main topic of late has been the author's adventures through an online relationship. Ten posts long, so far, and apparently there's more. :O

Now this is, mind, a seventeen-year-old, in-the-thick-of-puberty-and-high-school take on things, but the only online "dating" experiences I've ever had were bad ones, as in a guy said he loved me and turned out to be a creeper, so I blocked him and moved on.

But can it really work? (eHarmony says it can, but you can't trust corporations these days.)

I find it hard to believe that you can really truly fall in love with someone over the internet. I can see how you could find someone of interest or someone you might like to take on a date, but love? I don't believe in it. There's something so intrinsically cold and unfeeling about internet relationships. I enjoy you, my readers, and all your jokes and feedback, but I could never see myself falling in love like that (especially not the ladies. Heavens, no).

But I do see the appeal. I like to think of my blog as "concentrated Alexa: all the opinions with half the obnoxious." My real-world friends can probably attest to this, except they all comment via Google Buzz rather than on my actual blog (I'm telling you, you guys are missing out by doing so. Just sayin'). So boys who would usually be repelled by my loud and wonderfully annoying personality might find me super appealing, attractive, and insightful (if I do say so myself) on my blog.

So, being the poet that I am, I wrote a poem expressing my feelings with more than a little alliteration. Admittedly, my favorite part of this poem is the title. Aren't I just... just so clever? You don't have to answer. I already know I am. }:)

ROMance

I don’t believe in love at first site.
I cannot discern personality from pixels,
Character from characters,
Or status from stat messages.
I find nothing exciting in email,
Attractive in AIM,
Or fun in Facebook.
I do not believe in e-harmony—
Or e-chemistry—
But,
Then again,
It’s never happened to me.

What about you, readers? Will you have an internet marriage, or a traditional courting experience? Do you use the internet for laughs, or finding your soulmate? Or flirting, for that matter? (Like those weird Zoosk commercials. Honestly, who actually does that?)

3 Poetry Snaps:

Alyssa said...

I am taking the hint and commenting on your actual blog. ;)

I agree completely about the internet being cold and impersonal. There's only so much you can know about a person over the computer, and there's so much you can hide. I think that it's okay to talk to people you've never seen for real online, but I draw the line at "falling in love." Maybe internet dating sites are okay, but you have to actually meet the person face to face several times before deciding you're in love!!!!

Laena said...

Alexa,
While I have certainly had my own experience with falling in love on the internet (you've read the story so far), I LOVED this post and your poem. You really are an excellent writer!

Alexa said...

@Alyssa
Good for you! Pats on the back!
patpatpat
And wouldn't you agree that it's a different experience?

@Laena
Thank you! I plan on writing for a career (maybe not creatively), so I should be good. ;P
Can't wait until the next installment in this epic saga of yours, Laena! When's the part about your wedding, eh? ;) Every time I think it's over you surprise me.

Post a Comment