I Have a Confession to Make (Don't Worry, It's Not a Bad One).

|

Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Write Poetry, Not Prose

I write poetry, not prose.
These days people think only “emos” write poems
About the sadness in their hearts and their slit wrists.
Well, I don’t wear dark makeup or black clothes,
I just write poetry,
Not prose.

I used to think that novel-writing was the thing for me,
But as the years passed I found solace in the arms of poetry.
I’ll leave trilogies and chapters to the Talbots, Monsons, and Angerhofers,
Whose names will invariably been seen on the first of 400 pages,
Spelled out in gold letters and given national acclaim.
But for me, I’d rather make audiences weep as I perform on the stage,
Spewing forth sad-girl-poetry and other things written in my fits of rage.

You ought to see the surprise when I perform with wild eyes,
Spewing lines about insanity, death, murder, and lies.
Most don’t expect such a sweet exterior to have such “rotten” insides.
I haven’t been locked up in the basement all my life,
And sometimes I, at the beginning of it, feel I’ve lived more than those at the end.
Through the words I’ve penned I’ve learned far more than most,
Because I write poetry,
Not prose.
Of course, this is not a full-truth. I wrote this as a shout-out to one of my friends from my creative writing class, who usually writes prose but is also a brilliant poet. His poem was titled "I Write Prose, Not Poetry."

Sorry for the less-than-wordy explanation. I'm a little frazzled, but I wanted to post something today. I had to watch my cousins, and they're kinda high-maintenance.

But I have a question to ask of you, my readers. What do you write? I was reminded by my English teacher that all writing is creative; even writing a car owner's manual is creative. So where do you fall? Are you a poet, a novel-writer, a blogger, an essayer, or a manual-writer?

2 Poetry Snaps:

EAL said...

Prose is my weapon of choice (my poetry heyday was in fifth grade ahaha); I'll write essays when assigned.

I don't agree entirely with your teacher. I wouldn't call "lol" exactly creative. ;)

Alexa said...

Touche.

Post a Comment