IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

|

Saturday, November 19, 2011

I'm back! Marching band is over, so I finally have a little spare time to blog again. :)

I'm still warming back up to this, so today's poem is something you've seen before, but with a few added stanzas. I can't find anything on this confounded computer, otherwise I'd give you something new. :P But I trust you can bear with me.

What have you all been up to in these autumnal months of my absence?

Arachnophobia
(a poem inspired by make-up and mascara: two very evil, addicting drugs of the modern world)

 Her eyes were like flies’ eyes,
How they shone back the light in five thousand colors
Like multi-faceted black-and-blue diamonds
Shuttered beneath butterfly eyebrows.

Her lips were silkworms as she
Pulled thread from her mouth
Full of teeth-eating maggots
To weave a skirt like a spider’s web.

 Her dress drew me in:
Spun like candy floss it looked so sweet,
A lovely eye candy treat
Swirling about katy-did-ankles.
 
Her hair—it writhed,
Like insubstantial ringworm ringlets,
The Gorgons’ modern siren-child,
Tipped not by split ends but teeth
And hungry, blank black eyes.
 
The lies she lied were locusts,
Jumping out at me and scratching my skin with their
Grasshopper claws and lying eyes.
 
Her hands were like spiders,
Spindly, five-legged carnivores
Attached to praying mantis arms,
Twitching across the sticky thread
Reeling between her silkworm lips.
 
But as I think about it,
It was not her hands but her eyes that preyed
Arachnid-like on my face,
Hungry for my flies’-eyes eyes.

7 Poetry Snaps:

EAL said...

Alexa! You're back!

The stanza you added about her hair is just aaah brilliant. Adding more about her overall appearance strengthens the theme, which I'm presuming is the evils of an overfocus on appearance.

It also adds to the drama of the piece, so the last stanza gives a feeling of pensive horror - I'm imagining the speaker as being caught in the girl's web, and contemplating things as she approaches.

What've I been up to? Reading, mostly, and writing (naturally). And playing euphonium, though I'll warrant that after a grueling season of marching band you won't want to hear about that. x) Glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Never having reading this before, this was all new to me.

Got the impression of a mythological beast (maybe it was the "Gorgons' modern siren-child" that did it?), a type of cautionary tale about the dangers of excessive primping and vanity. Really vivid imagery, and I agree the hair stanza really stands out, adding motion to the picture. My favorite I think is the "Grasshopper claws" though, when I read it I felt I knew exactly what those were and what they looked like.

Alexa said...

@EAL
:) It's good to be back. :D

Why, thank you for the complimentation. Yes, my verbosity tends to add more details, but... I have to practice writing short poems. xD We only had one short poem in the lit mag last year, something I intend to fix this year since I'm the editor-in-chief. ;)

Ah, the euphonium... we've got five euphonium/baritone players in my concert band, including me. Even though we all play the same part we still did a seating test, and I took second chair! eeeeeeI'm still stoked about it! Nah, forget about marching band. I still want to hear about your euphonial experiences. ;)

@Diego

Ah, glad to see you here! It's funny you chanced upon me right as I was heading out, but now that I'm back I hope you like what you see. :)

If you can visualize her, then I have achieved my literary goal! That's it. I'm done. :) I don't have to write any more poetry. I can move on to bigger and better things like working in a textile mill or as a telemarketer. I've always wanted to put someone on hold...

Of course, I tease. But I still want to put someone on hold and then never pick the phone back up and then get fired. :D

EAL said...

Short poems are difficult - how do you fit a whole idea into a small container? Haiku poets have my respect. x|

Re:euph - I conquered some sixteenth notes and got beat up by a seven-tuplet sixteenth note run into the G with three ledger lines (which I can hit 50% of the time and make sound like a dying elephant the other 50% of the time). But I shall prevail!

The pep band arrangement for Carry On Wayward Son should be marketed as an antidepressant. Ooh, it's so much fun to play. Also Ticheli's Simple Gifts (though that's concert band).

Kevin Routh said...

Welcome back! I really love the poem!

Anonymous said...

welcome back and sorry i missed this.

You have the gift of words.

Anonymous said...

Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituahebalcenter.com. Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

Post a Comment